Friday 5 September 2014

Day 1, Afternoon

As I enter the cave I fear what may lie within. My sword is nothing but flimsy wood and it's one of the only things I have in the whole world, besides the clothes on my back.
The inside is pitch black and darker than sin. I can barely see my hands in front of my face, but I manage to find some coal in the stone next to me. My pickaxe makes short work of it.
I fashion a crude torch with coal and sticks and hook it to the wall. The light casts thick shadows but it's welcome in the cold, dark cave. The shadows are beginning to frighten me, but whenever I think of what may lurk within I am assured by the sight of the sun far behind me. It is still day. I still have time.


I decide to begin mining the stone on the wall, cutting it into crude blocks for crafting purposes. I brought my little crafting box down the cave with me so I can make what I need to survive. The stone is hard and workable, and I know it will make good weapons and tools.
Shit. The roof fell in on me, a nice stack of gravel from above. Someone up there hates me. The back of my neck aches and I've lost a lot of skin, but I'm alive. I welcome the pain as I craft more tools. It's proof I'm alive.





 I get the feeling I'm being watched. I build a choke point in the cave: force anyone... or anything... to come in the one entrance, to make it easier to guard.

The wall is thick and the door narrow. It took a bit of time but the dirt and stone blocks stacked nicely.



I stand and watch as the sun slowly sets. The day is over and the night is come. As the darkness falls my sense of unease grows, and I can almost smell the evil out there, watching, waiting.

It's as the stars rise and the pink glow fades from the sky that my stomach begins to rumble and my legs turn to jelly. I need food. The only thing to eat in the cave is dirt and rocks: I almost fall over as I realise what I must do.
I must go into the dark. I must find something to eat.





No comments:

Post a Comment